Thursday, May 6, 2010

Why I Deserve an A


I took Opinion Writing this semester to improve my ability to formulate sensible opinions and write sound arguments supporting them. I also wanted to challenge myself to write about subjects that I am less knowledgeable of. This class provided those opportunities several times a week and I am pleased to say that I rose to the challenge!

Having to do a presentation each week on subjects such as economics, politics, European history and philosophy required a lot of research on my part in order to give an ‘A’ presentation. These are not topics that I am readily familiar with, but I put forth the required time and energy each to week to ensure my presentations were engaging and informative. I tried to think ‘outside of the box’ when I could to include humor and different perspectives to these subjects every week.

Of course a large part of our grade is based on our weekly blog entries, which I also approached with a combination of vigor and seriousness. For each topic, I worked hard to formulate my opinions into sensible, easy to read blog entries. I tried to interject my personality into my writing as well, so the reader could get a good sense of who I am after reading my blog.

Finally, I made time to read the blog entries of my classmates on different occasions to learn who they are and how they feel about the different topics we wrote about or discussed in class. I left comments to let them know how I felt about what they wrote, just as others had done for me. Getting an ‘A’ in any subject is hard work, but I believe nothing is gained without great effort. I once heard that anything worth doing is worth doing well. That is the approach I try to take in every endeavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment