Sunday, March 21, 2010

1970s Playlist (Punk Rock Revisited!)



The newly released 1970s Playlist takes the listener back in time to a day when punk rock ruled the airwaves with lightening fast, power chords and anti-establishment lyrics. This compilation CD includes the best from that time, with a mix of anthems, commercial tracks, and pure, unadulterated punk rock.

The music is simple and straightforward, but that is what made punk rock so appealing. Any group of buddies with a guitar, drums, bass (optional) and microphone could start a punk rock band-- and that's how most bands from that time got started.

From "Where Were You?" by The Mekons to "Personality Crisis" by the New York Dolls, 1970s Playlist delivers a knockout punch of hits from this underground, musical era. Artists included on this who's who of punk rockers and 1970s alternative artists includes The Ramones, The Undertones, The Cure, and The Damned.

Although the lyrics are frequently random and often incomprehensible, they share a consistent theme of teenage angst, confusion, and getting screwed over.

From The Buzzcocks' “What Do I Get?

I just want a lover like any other.
I only want a friend who will love to the end.
What do I get?
I get no love.
What do I get?
No sleep at night.

To “Sonic Reducer” by the Dead Boys:

I don't need anyone.
Don't need no mom and dad.
Don't need no good advice.
Don't need no human race.

The lyrics from these 1970s alternative hits tell the story of rebellion against mainstream acceptance.

“Gloria” by Patti Smith and “Cherry Bomb” by The Runaways make it clear that punk rock and rebellion was not exclusive to the boys. “Gloria” has been covered by countless artists, but this rendition is an ode to Jim Morrison and The Doors, with a hot, lesbian overtone.

“Cherry Bomb” shows that girls can be punk rockers, too and have just as much if not more angst than the boys.

Can't stay at home, can't stay at school.
Old folks say, ya poor little fool.
Down the street I'm the girl next door.
I'm the fox you've been waiting for.
Hello daddy, hello mom.
I'm you're cherry bomb.
Hello world, I'm your girl.
I'm your ch-ch-cherry bomb!

If you love classic 1970s punk rock, “1970s Playlist” will not disappoint. 22 classic tracks from a time when music was fast, pure and rebellious, “1970s Playlist” quickly made its way onto my 2010 iPod.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I didn't have your new CD Thursday; I've been devoting all my time to grading blogs.

    ReplyDelete