Thursday, March 11, 2010

O.C. and Stiggs

This really bugs me. 1987 is my era and this movie should grab me, but it does not. I had some weird friends in my day, but these guys I really do not understand.

I graduated from high school in the late '80s, considered myself fairly hip back in the day, but the less than forgettable movie O.C. and Stiggs does everything, but make me laugh. And that's too bad.

It's got a great supporting cast: Paul Dooley, Jane Curtin, Martin Mull, and Dennis Hopper among others. But for some reason I feel like I was supposed to smoke a huge Cheech and Chong sized cigar joint before sitting down to watch this movie.

The plot loosely centers around the summer escapades of two Arizona teenagers named O.C. and Stiggs. The problem is, the attempted humor used throughout the movie flip-flops ineffectively between slapstick, subtle innuendo, and the bizarre and outrageous. It just doesn't work.

Not only did it fail to make me laugh, it failed miserable to hold my interest. If a school assignment did not require my viewing the whole movie, I would have ejected it after the first fifteen minutes. As it was, it still took three attempts for me to watch it all the way through.

I welcome anyone who enjoyed this move to please comment on my review. Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm too old now to appreciate its humor. Maybe I was too sober as well.

1 comment:

  1. Robert Altman movies are often hit and miss for audiences. I'm personally a fan of parts of this film (the large car, King Sunny Ade, everything Paul Dooley says), but there are others that I think don't mesh as well (Dennis Hopper's character). The film is based on a "National Lampoon" series. I personally think it does a better job than "Bill and Ted," but I'm a huge Altman fan so I'm jaded.

    ReplyDelete