Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I am Passionate About....

...Sports broadcasting. From the time I was a little kid, I wanted to be a sports broadcaster (ok, from the time I realized I did not have the skills or physical abilities to ever become a professional athlete). I wanted to be the guy calling the greatest moments in sports: the game-winning home run, the game-winning touchdown catch, the basket at the buzzer.



Sports broadcasting is like telling a story about something you really enjoy and in order to tell it as accurately and as passionately as possible, you have immerse yourself in it. Being the obsessive/compulsive person that I am, I wouldn't approach it any other way.

This past basketball season I had the opportunity to travel with the GSU men's basketball team to an away game (at Samford) and provide the color commentary opposite the Voice of the Eagles, Chris Blair. It was a thrill to say the least.

To travel with the team, attend film sessions, the morning shoot-around, then finally calling the game-- it was all a fantastic experience for me. I tried to use all of my time spent with the team, the scouting of their opponent and my own research and preparations to add to the broadcast. As the #2 broadcaster that evening, I tried hard to assist in telling the story.

The storyline that night was the Eagles getting their first road win of the season. I was able to ask the coach some questions after the game, provide insight on the victory to our listeners back home, and celebrate on the team bus during our return trip to Statesboro.

I knew on that ride back that I had found my calling. Now there is nothing ahead of me, but hard work and hopefully a break or two, to make sports broadcasting my profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment