Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Free Topic

Rough Year for My Favorite Sports Teams

 

This has been a rough 12 months or so for my favorite sports teams. As much as I love them... and because I love them so much, it's been even more heartbreaking.

Here is a breakdown of my favorite teams in each of the sports that I follow:

Washington Redskins
Record: 4-12
Finish: Last in Division

Maryland Terrapins (Football)
Record: 2-10
Finish: Last in Division

Georgia Southern (Football)
Record: 5-6
Finish: Tied for 4th Place

Maryland Terrapins (Basketball)
Record: 24-9
Finish: Tied for 1st in Conference, lost 1st Rd ACC Tournament

Georgia Southern (Basketball)
Record: 9-23
Finish: Last in Division

Baltimore Orioles
Record: 4-18 (as of 4-30)
Place in AL East: Last

Atlanta Braves
Record: 8-14 (as of 4-30)
Place in NL East: Last

As you can see, other than Maryland basketball (which greatly underachieved) and Georgia Southern Football (had a losing record), all of my favorite teams either finished in last place or are currently in last place. Although the Terps basketball team finished in a tie for first place with Duke, they lost in the first round of the ACC Tournament and in the second round of the NCAA tournament. For a team with as much talent as they had, that was extremely disappointing.

Even so, other than GSU football (5-6 record) they are the only team that didn't finish in last place this season. I don't know how much more of this I can take! The Orioles have the worst record in Major League Baseball and the Braves are in the midst of a nine game losing streak.

So I don't see things getting any better for me this summer. Still, they are my teams and I'll love them until the end. Losing streaks have to end sometime and with 162 games in a baseball season, there's plenty of time to turn things around. Or so I keep telling myself....

No comments:

Post a Comment