Monday, April 12, 2010

Letter to the Editor...

Dear Editor and My Friends in the Statesboro Community.

In contrast to the negative news that pervades our newspapers and other media outlets these days, I felt compelled to write the following letter. This is my way, as a proud member of the Statesboro community, to ensure at least one positive message reaches the readers of this publication today.

I am a newer resident of Statesboro, my wife and I having moved to Georgia less than five years ago. In just a few weeks, I will also be a proud graduate of Georgia Southern University.

Since my time here, I have on numerous occasions heard rumblings of how the city has never embraced GSU, nor have the students embraced the city. As a soon to be member of both groups, I find this to be very troublesome.

Certainly, whenever I mention Statesboro, people automatically think of Georgia Southern. Conversely, when I discuss my studies at GSU, people immediately comment on what a great community Statesboro is (well, after they ask what's going on with the football team?).

I think its time both communities embrace each other. The education Georgia Southern University provides to the students from our community (as well as all over the world) is immeasurable. Graduates who stay in Bulloch County go on to make positive contributions to our community as they become nurses, teachers and business professionals.

As young people, they may not have the same passion for farmers markets or patronizing downtown business instead of the local Wal-mart. But they care about the community, and are proud to be a part of it.

I ask both communities to come together as one...to appreciate all the university does for Statesboro, and to take pride in the town we call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment